Some Canadian universities have contracted a consulting agency, the Centre for Diversity and Inclusion (CCDI), to survey and report on the demographics of their campuses.
The Diversity Meter TM is a census developed by the CCDI.
According to the CCDI, the Diversity Meter TM ,
” … goes beyond the scope of the four designated groups in the Employment Equity module and provides a demographic understanding of your employees based on workplace demographics including role, length of employment as well as personal dimensions including education, languages are spoken, age, relationship status, disability status, dependants, Indigenous identity, racial/ethnic identity, place of origin, religion, faith and spirituality, sex, gender and gender identity, and sexual orientation.”Diversity MeterTM, CCDI Consulting, Inc., https://www.ccdiconsulting.ca/assessment-services/diversity-meter/, accessed July 22, 2022.
So far, I’ve identified four Canadian universities who’ve contracted CCDI to use the Diversity MeterTM on their populations (I’ll update this post as my research continues):
- Simon Fraser University (SFU):
- “Diversity Meter: FAQs and Data Privacy,” Update, Announcements, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, Simon Fraser University, November 12, 2019, https://www.sfu.ca/edi/updates/announcements/2019/diversity-meter-faqs-and-data-privacy.html , accessed July 22, 2022.
2. University of New Brunswick (UNB):
- “Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Survey,” University of New Brunswick, 2020, https://www.unb.ca/initiatives/edi-survey/index.html , accessed July 22, 2022.
3. University of Regina (UR):
- “[president] Diversity Meter Survey – Equity, Diversity and Inclusion at the University of Regina,” List Archive, University of Regina, Sept 30 2020, https://lists.uregina.ca/sympa/arc/president/2020-09/msg00010.html , accessed July 22, 2022.
4. Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU)
“Conducted in March 2021, the Diversity Meter had a 44 per cent response rate. Five interviews were conducted in May 2021 in relation to KPU’s Canada Research Chairs…The results have been summarized in a report prepared by CCDI.”
- “Employee Diversity,” Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, Kwantlen Polytechnic University, https://www.kpu.ca/edi, accessed July 22, 2022.
Additionally, The Canadian Association of Research Libraries (CARL-ABRC), employed the CCDI to implement the Diversity MeterTM in 21 participating member libraries in October, 2021. The results of that survey (with a 37.4% completion rate) were released in May 2022.
- “Diversity and Inclusion Survey,” Strengthen Capacity, CARL-ABRC, https://www.carl-abrc.ca/diversity-and-inclusion-survey/, accessed July 22, 2022.
“About CCDI Consulting Inc.
Effectively advancing inclusion, diversity, equity and accessibility (IDEA) is a strategic imperative for all Canadian organizations that want to remain relevant and competitive in the fast-changing landscape of the “new” normal.” (p. 4)“Insights Report,” Diversity Census and Inclusion Survey, Prepared for the Canadian Association of Research Libraries, May 2022, https://www.carl-abrc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/CARL-Diversity-Meter-Insights-Report-Final.pdf, accessed July 22, 2022.